Building Name -: Waldspirale
Location -: Darmstadt, Germany
Artist -: Friedensreich Hundertwasser (Austrian)
Architect -: Heinz M. Springmann
Contractor -: Bauverein Darmstadt company
Year of Start -: 1998
Year of End -: 2000
- Waldspirale in english is Forest Spiral.
- Unique feature of building is it has a forest growing on top of it.
- It contains 105 apartments, a parking garage, and a kiosk.
- There is also a café and bar located at the top of the forest spiral.
- The building is shaped like a U, in the center of which there is an inner courtyard, playground, and small artificial lake for young residents to play in.
- The Waldspirale’s breathtaking diagonal green roof is planted with grass, shrubs, flowers and trees that wind their way up the path of the 12 story building.
- It has over 1,000 windows and no one of these windows are shaped the same in this “out of line” building, and many have “tree tenants” growing right through them.
- At the highest point the building has 12 floors.
- The corners between the walls and ceiling are rounded off in every apartment.
- Some of the apartments are decorated in Friedensreich Hundertwasser’s personal style and exhibit the colourful tiles in the bath and kitchen that are characteristic of his work.
- The handles that are attached to the windows and doors follow the same mismatched aesthetic.
- From the outside, the typical elements of Hundertwasser’s personal style attract attention: the gilded onion domes, the absence of straight lines and sharp corners, the multicoloured painting of the building in earth tones and the colourful ceramic columns.